Genetic Engineering: Way to Grow
$12.95 – $101.95
How does genetic engineering produce human growth hormone?
How can genetic engineering be used to help a child who is not growing normally?
- Conduct simulated tests to determine what is causing the child’s slow growth.
- Learn how hormone replacement therapy is used to treat human growth hormone deficiency.
- Model how genetic engineering can be used to create bacteria that produce human growth hormone.
- Student instructions
- 1 tube of simulated “Jose’s Blood Plasma”
- 1 simulated “Hormone Test Strip”
- Hormone Fast-Test Kit Instructions
- 1 paper “Plasmid DNA” strip
- 1 paper “Human DNA” strip
- 1 restriction enzyme transparency card
- 2 “Bacteria” plastic bags
- 6 “Protein” molecules (paper clips)
- Clear adhesive tape
- Safety goggles
- 1 – 9 kits: $12.95 each
- 10 – 24 kits: $12.30 each
- 25+ kits: $11.66 each
- 1 – 9 packs: $101.95 each
- 10+ packs: $96.85 each
- 1 – 9 packs: $34.95 each
- 10+ packs: $33.20 each
Correlation to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Shop by NGSS »
MS-LS4-5. Gather and synthesize information about the technologies that have changed the way humans influence the inheritance of desired traits in organisms.
Science & Engineering Practices
Developing and Using Models - Develop a model to describe unobservable mechanisms
Disciplinary Core Ideas
LS4.B: Natural Selection - In artificial selection, humans have the capacity to influence certain characteristics of organisms by selective breeding. One can choose desired parental traits determined by genes, which are then passed on to offspring.
Cause and Effect - Phenomena may have more than one cause, and some cause and effect relationships in systems can only be described using probability.
Interdependence of Science, Engineering, and Technology - Engineering advances have led to important discoveries in virtually every field of science, and scientific discoveries have led to the development of entire industries and engineered systems.