Sea Otter Forensics
Why are the sea otters dying?
Follow a real-life scenario to investigate the cause of sea otter deaths on the California coast.
- Analyze postmortem photos to determine the cause of death of a sea otter.
- Conduct simulated lab tests for the presence of biological toxins.
- Interpret lab tests, maps, and photos to explain the source of the toxin that is killing sea otters.
- Use a food web diagram to explain how sea otters could have high toxin concentrations.
- Conduct simulated lab tests to determine the concentration of toxin that causes damage to human liver cells.
- Design a sign to provide information about health effects of an algal bloom and ways to avoid exposure.
Limit 1 free sample per customer
|1 - 9||$16.50 ea.|
|10 - 24||$15.68 ea.|
|25 - 1000||$14.85 ea.|
Each assembled kit contains:
- Sea Otter Photos
- Sea Otter Plasma (simulated)
- Toxin Test Strip (simulated)
- Instructions for Biological Toxin Testing
- Map and Photos of Area Surrounding Monterey Bay
- Human Liver Cells (simulated)
- Blood (simulated)
- Microcystin (simulated)
Also required: safety goggles
Buy Unassembled and Save!
Refill Your Kit
Sea Otter Forensics – Pack of 10 Unassembled Kits
Catalog # STO-163U
Unassembled packs contain materials for 10 kits.
- All supplies, lab materials, and printed labels
- Student instructions copy master
- Easy to follow instructions for kit assembly
|1 - 9||$136.00 ea.|
|10 - 1000||$129.20 ea.|
Sea Otter Forensics – 10 Kit Refill Pack
Catalog # STO-163R
Refill packs contain materials to replace consumable supplies for 10 kits.
|1 - 9||$34.00 ea.|
|10 - 1000||$32.30 ea.|
Thought it was user friendly and fun for kids!
- High school science teacher (PA)