Testing for Genetic Disorders that Cause Brain Damage
Explore genetic testing for PKU.
Follow the case of twins who have newborn screening for genetic disorders.
- Conduct simulated newborn screening tests and follow-up blood tests that reveal that one of the twins has phenylketonuria (PKU).
- Learn how brain damage from PKU can be prevented.
- Explore inheritance of the gene that causes PKU using a Punnett square and simulated genetic testing.
Limit 1 free sample per customer
|1 - 9||$16.00 ea.|
|10 - 24||$15.20 ea.|
|25 - 1000||$14.40 ea.|
Each assembled kit contains:
- Student instructions
- 2 “Newborn Screening” test cards
- Simulated test solutions for four genetic disorders
- 8 toothpicks
- 1 tube of simulated “Anna Wentler’s Blood Plasma”
- 1 strip of simulated “Phenylalanine Test Paper”
- Phenylalanine color chart
- 1 tube of simulated “DNA Stain”
- 1 stirrer
- 1 plastic tray
- 1 small measuring cup
- Strips of P and p stickers
- 1 simulated “Electrophoresis Gel”
- A Parent’s Guide to Newborn Screening
- Parent Guide: Understanding PKU
Also required: Safety goggles
Buy Unassembled and Save!
Refill Your Kit
Testing for Genetic Disorders that Cause Brain Damage – 10 Unassembled Kits
Catalog # STO-132U
Unassembled packs contain materials for 10 kits.
- All supplies, lab materials, and printed labels
- Student instructions copy master
- Easy to follow instructions for kit assembly
|1 - 9||$120.00 ea.|
|10 - 1000||$114.00 ea.|
Testing for Genetic Disorders that Cause Brain Damage – 10 Kit Refill Pack
Catalog # STO-132R
Refill packs contain materials to replace consumable supplies for 10 kits.
|1 - 9||$55.00 ea.|
|10 - 1000||$52.25 ea.|