Birth Defects and Folic Acid
How does folic acid prevent neural tube defects?
Follow the case of a pregnant woman who is concerned that her developing baby is at risk for spina bifida, a birth defect.
- Test the mother's "blood" and "amniotic fluid" for alpha-fetoprotein, an indicator for potential birth defects.
- Interpret the results of a sonogram.
- Make a clay model of the developing nervous system.
- Learn about clinical trial research studies.
- Explore the importance of prenatal care for preventing birth defects.
Limit 1 free sample per customer
|1 - 9||$14.00 ea.|
|10 - 24||$13.30 ea.|
|25 - 1000||$12.60 ea.|
Each assembled kit contains:
- Student instructions
- 1 tube of simulated “Anita’s Blood Serum”
- 1 tube of simulated “Amniotic Fluid”
- 1 tube of simulated “AFP Indicator”
- 2 labeled droppers
- AFP Fast-Test Strip
- AFP Test Sheet
- AFP Color Chart
- “Ectoderm” (clay)
- Neural Tube Defects Fact Sheet
- Ultrasound and Amniocentesis information sheet
- Experimental Group card
- Control Group card
- 1 penny
- Preventing Birth Defects brochure
Also required: Safety goggles
Buy Unassembled and Save!
Refill Your Kit
Birth Defects and Folic Acid – Pack of 10 Unassembled Kits
Catalog # STO-130U
Unassembled packs contain materials for 10 kits.
- All supplies, lab materials, and printed labels
- Student instructions copy master
- Easy to follow instructions for kit assembly
|1 - 9||$105.00 ea.|
|10 - 1000||$99.75 ea.|
Birth Defects and Folic Acid – 10 Kit Refill Pack
Catalog # STO-130R
Refill packs contain materials to replace consumable supplies for 10 kits.
|1 - 9||$32.00 ea.|
|10 - 1000||$30.40 ea.|